Barcelona president Joan Laporta has suggested La Liga are trying to “destabilise” the club after the Catalans were accused of failing to comply with financial fair play rules.
The governing body released a statement this morning that said Barca’s salary limit had been reduced after a revenue stream – the €100million sale of VIP seats at the renovated Camp Nou – was discounted from their latest accounts.
La Liga said the transaction had been previously included, enabling the club to register Dani Olmo and Pau Víctor for the second half of the season.
Angry Laporta lashes out
Laporta says Barcelona will prepare an official response when the club’s lawyers have examined the case thoroughly but he was visibly angered when asked about it prior to the team’s Copa del Rey semi-final, second leg against Atletico Madrid tonight.
🏆 MATCHDAY! 🏆#AtletiBarça pic.twitter.com/Y9LvPPCjJQ
— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) April 2, 2025
The 62-year-old told El Mundo Deportivo: “Sometimes I have the feeling that this is not by chance. Today we play a final in Madrid against Atlético, which I hope will be a great show. That they come out and activate controversies of this type is not by chance. It’s one more attempt to destabilise our team.
“Sometimes I have the feeling is that what they can’t win on the field they try to win in the offices and as president of Barça I can’t allow this. I will continue to defend the interests of our club, in defence of our members and fans.
“The club will respond once the legal services have thoroughly analysed La Liga’s letter. We are going to respond in the most forceful way necessary in defence of the interests of FC Barcelona.”
Final decision on duo expected next week
The Higher Sports Council (CSD) granted a temporary license for Olmo and Victor to continue playing but they will announce their final decision on April 7.
Laporta is confident the pair will be able to take part in Barca’s remaining games, saying: “Three months ago I already said that the registrations of Olmo and Pau Víctor had been done correctly and that we had met each and every one of the requirements demanded by the RFEF [Spanish FA] and by La Liga. And this is still the case.”
Barca are three points clear at the top of the Spanish top flight with nine games to go.
They face Atletico at the Metropolitano tonight after a pulsating 4-4 draw in the first leg in Catalonia on February 25.
Olmo is injured and won’t feature but Pau Víctor was included in the squad.